Want to impress the next time you’re behind the bar? Consider learning how to make a few wine cocktails and introduce people to a whole new type of drink. Here are nine recipes using red, white, and sparkling wines. Be sure to check out our helpful hints at the end!
Red Wine Cocktails
While you might be used to sangria as the only red wine cocktail around, there are some fantastic drinks that can be made using the dark drink. Here are three that are sure to garner some interest and raise your drink mixing credibility.
- Tinto de Verano: Make this easy Spanish favorite by mixing equal parts red wine and lemon/lime soda and serving over ice. Garnish with a lemon for a new take on the traditional white wine spritzer.
- Kalimotxo: Another red wine cocktail from Spain although this one is brought to us by the Basques. Simply mix equal parts red wine and cola and serve room temperature or chilled.
- Blackberry and Cabernet Caipirinha: It’s not Sangria, but Sangria lovers are sure to add this to the rotation. This quick and easy recipe makes four to six drinks.
1 cup fresh blackberries
2 medium limes; quartered
6 ounces cachaca (you can find this at a well-stocked liquor store)
2 ounces Cabernet Sauvignon (use a mild one, nothing too crazy)
1 1/2 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice (requires about 3 medium limes)
2 ounces freshly squeezed orange juice (requires about 1/2 medium orange)
4 ounces smple syrup
2 ounces cranberry juice
thinly sliced lime and orange rounds (garnish)
- Combine blackberries and quartered limes in a large pitcher and muddle well
- Add cachaca, wine, juices, simple syrup, and some ice
- Garnish with lime and orange wheels and serve.